Add new node-type for EtherCAT in order to connect CWD
I think the fasted way to get CWD connected to our lab infrastructure would be the addition of a new interface to VILLASnode. This would require a software-based EtherCAT, like it is also used by Opal-RT. Lateron, we could consider moving this EtherCAT master also to the FPGA (VILLASfpga). But the FPGA development would take much longer. And before we are not sure that this is really required, I would advocate for going the software path first.
I found a simple guide which we could use to get started: http://www.ericlwilkinson.com/blog/2015/5/31/ethercat-development-guide-for-linux
Available EtherCAT master implementations for Linux:
What are you opinions? @niklas.eiling feel free to get started if you like. I am currently a bit busy with other things :(
- Test ethercat connection
- Have GE configure PCI slave
- Test communication with PCI slave
- Define Interface
- Implement ethercat node interface in VILLASnode
- Connect OPAL-RT
- Uses SOEM
- We should be able to use Etherlab. But will it be real-time capable?
- Can also be connected via a VILLASnode or Bachmann modules